What is Aerius?
Aerius is an antihistamine, an anti-allergy medicine. It contains the active ingredient desloratadine which makes the body less sensitive to allergy triggers such as pollen, pet fur or certain foods. Aerius does not make you drowsy and is available in tablet form or as oral solution. You can order Aerius online through a Dokteronline.com partner pharmacy. Aerius is a prescription-only medicine that can be obtained through an online consultation.
What is Aerius used for?
Aerius is prescribed to relieve the symptoms of allergies such as hay fever, dust mite allergies or pet allergies, or to reduce hypersensitivity reactions to specific foods. Common symptoms of an allergy include:
- Rhinitis symptoms such as nasal congestion, runny nose or repeated sneezing;
- Coughing and/or shortness of breath;
- Itching in the mouth;
- Nettle rash (skin rash with itchy swellings);
- Eye problems such as infected, watery red and/or itchy eyes.
Aerius works by blocking histamine receptors. This prevents allergic reactions and provides relief from typical allergy symptoms.
How to use Aerius
Aerius is available online from our partner pharmacies in tablet form or as oral solution. Aerius tablets should be swallowed whole with some water. The oral solution comes with a dosage spoon for measuring the correct amount. The solution is especially suitable for children but can also be used by adults.
Aerius can be taken with or without food, at any time of the day. When used preventatively it is best to take this medicine an hour before exposure to an allergen. Aerius is suitable for long-term use in chronic allergy sufferers.
Aerius is available in various strengths. The doctor will recommend the right dose for you depending on your symptoms. Unless otherwise prescribed by your doctor, the usual dose is:
- Adults and children aged 12 and above: one to two tablets in the prescribed dose, once a day.
- Children aged 6 to 12 years: one tablet in the prescribed dose, once a day.
Aerius solution (0.5 mg/ml):
- Adults and children aged 12 and above: 10 ml once daily. Children aged 6 to 12 years: 5 ml once daily.
- Children aged 1 to 6 years: 2.5 ml once daily.
Read the package leaflet before use.
Aerius can cause side effects, including:
- Tiredness or sleepiness. Take your medicine at bedtime if you experience this side effect;
- Dry mouth or throat.
If you experience severe side effects, consult a doctor. For more information on possible side effects, see the package leaflet.
When not to use Aerius
Aerius is not suitable for everyone and should not be used if:
- You are allergic to desloratadine or any other ingredient in this medicine.
Consult your doctor if you have kidney problems or a health-related condition that is not listed above.
Do not use Aerius if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, unless otherwise instructed by your doctor.
Stay out of traffic if you experience side effects that make you feel less alert than normal (e.g. tiredness or dizziness).
Alcohol may trigger or intensify the side effects. It is therefore advisable to reduce or stop alcohol consumption while taking this medicine.