What is Aknemycin Plus?
Aknemycin Plus is a medicine that is used to treat acne. Aknemycin Plus lotion is intended for external use only and contains two active ingredients:
- Erythromycin, an antibiotic that attacks bacteria on the skin and reduces subcutaneous infection;
- Tretinoin (vitamin A acid), a medicine that stimulates the growth of new skin cells.
These two medicines combined help combat acne, allowing the skin to heal.
What is it used for?
Aknemycin Plus is prescribed in the treatment of stubborn and moderate to severe forms of acne. Acne is a skin condition that manifests itself through pimples, blackheads and subcutaneous infections, often accompanied by greasy skin. Although acne can affect people of all ages, it is most common in adolescents.
How to use Aknemycin Plus
Apply the lotion to clean, dry skin. The bottle has a special dosing mechanism which controls the flow of the product. Before each use press the top of the screw cap on to the foam pad until you hear a click. Then invert the bottle so that the solution wets the applicator pad and wipe the applicator over the affected areas. Avoid contact with the eyes. Rinse thoroughly with water should this occur. Do not apply the lotion to broken skin, areas of skin affected with eczema, or burned skin.
Unless otherwise advised, the usual dose for adults is:
- a thin film to the affected areas once or twice daily.
The duration of treatment should be established by a doctor. The length of time depends on the condition of your skin but is normally between 9 and 12 weeks. There may not be any improvement in your skin condition for several weeks after starting with Aknemycin Plus. In some people, the acne may seem to get worse during the first few weeks. It is, however, important to keep using Aknemycin Plus regularly before definite beneficial effects on the skin can be seen.
Children under 18 years of age should only be given this medicine by a doctor.
Aknemycin Plus can cause side effects, including:
- Skin irritation (burning sensation, itching, red spots) in the areas where the solution was applied;
- Temporary worsening of symptoms;
- Increased sensitivity of the skin to UV light: avoid exposure to direct sunlight and sunbeds.
See package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.
When not to use Aknemycin Plus
This medicine is not suitable for everyone and should not be used if:
- You are allergic to erythromycin, tretinoin or any other ingredient in Aknemycin Plus;
- You have skin cancer or another serious skin condition.
Aknemycin Plus may interact with other medicines. It is therefore important to tell our doctor what other medicines you are taking. See package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications, interactions and warnings.
Do not use Aknemycin Plus if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding.
Aknemycin Plus does not interact with alcohol or affect your ability to drive safely.