Allergy is a harmful reaction of the body caused by a substance from outside. This reaction may be damaging.
This substance (allergen) can be a variety of things: most common is pollen (the cause of hay fever), animal hair and household dust mite. After repeated contact the body can react with a strong allergic reaction due to excessive histamine excretion such as a swollen and wet nose, red tearing eyes, headache and tiredness. Sometimes the skin can get red and itchy or one can feel tight in the chest.
Sensitive persons can show a strong reaction to cigarette smoke or air-conditioned air with symptoms as coughing, flow from the nose and difficulty breathing.
Other people suffer from a strong allergy to some specific foodstuffs (peanuts, sesamiseed, kiwi) or drugs (penicillin). After contact with these products they even can get into shock.
Treatment starts with avoiding contact with the products that have caused an allergic reaction.
If you know what causes your allergy remove it from your surrounding, if possible.
Get rid of dusty carpets and pillows that contain dust mite, if need be, even your pet animal.
Don't eat these nuts or other ingredients in food or sweets you have experienced being allergic to.
It is very important to tell your doctor if you have ever experienced an allergy for certain drugs.
Sometimes it is impossible to avoid contact with the allergic agent and then anti allergic medication may be needed. You either can take these drugs prophylactic (before any contact with the allergen and to prevent any harmful reaction) or just to control the allergic symptoms after the contact has already taken place.
Pharmacy product(s) in this category