Co-codamol package leaflet
This information brochure contains general information on the painkiller Co-codamol. The official Co codamol package leaflet contains more extensive information on, for example, dosage and administration. If you have any questions after reading the leaflet, please contact a doctor or pharmacist.
What is Co-codamol and what is it used for?
Co-codamol is a compound painkiller that contains the active ingredients paracetamol and codeine. This combination of medicines is very effective at relieving pain and fever. Co-codamol can be used when paracetamol alone does not suffice to control the pain. The added codeine, a slightly stronger painkiller, provides relief from moderate to severe pain. Codeine also helps to suppress coughing. Co codamol is used for:
- Rheumatic disorders (arthritis, arthrosis, Bechterews disease, gout);
- Lumbago and other back problems;
- Pain from surgery;
- Muscle ache;
- Flu, common cold, tickly coughs;
- Pain and fever from illness;
- Menstrual pain;
Co-codamol is only available on prescription.
What you need to know before using Co-codamol
Here are some things to remember when taking a strong painkiller like Co-codamol:
- Do not use Co-codamol if you are allergic to paracetamol, codeine or any other ingredient in this medicine;
- Co-codamol may cause sleepiness and dizziness. Stay out of traffic if you experience these side effects;
- Do not drink alcohol while taking Co-codamol as this will increase the chance of side effects;
- Do not use Co-codamol during the last weeks of pregnancy. Always consult a doctor before using this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding;
- Co-codamol is not suitable for children under the age of 12, unless otherwise advised by a doctor.
How to use Co-codamol
Co-codamol is available as effervescent tablets, dispersible tablets and capsules. The capsules should be swallowed whole, without chewing, with plenty of liquid. The effervescent and dispersible tablets should be dissolved in half a glass of water. Stir well and drink the mixture right away. If you have a sensitive stomach, it is best to take your medicine with food to avoid stomach distress. Co-codamol provides about four hours of relief. For more information on dosage, see the package leaflet.
Possible side effects
Co-codamol may cause side effects, such as:
- Sleepiness, drowsiness, dizziness;
- Constipation (blockage in the bowel);
Consult a doctor if the side effects are bothersome or if you have side effects that are not listed here. If you would like to know what side effects other users have experienced, then read the information brochure Experiences with Co-codamol. You can also find more information on side effects in the package leaflet.
How to store Co-codamol
Keep Co-codamol out of reach of children. Store this medicine at room temperature and in the original pack. Do not use after the expiration date (see packaging or label).
Co-codamol contains paracetamol and codeine. For a full list of ingredients, ingredient ratios, and information on the manufacturer and marketing authorisation holder, please refer to the package leaflet.
Product – Price (incl doctor’s consult)
Read the package leaflet for more information about risks and side effects, or ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice.