What is Cyclo-Progynova?
Cyclo-Progynova is a hormone replacement therapy (HRT) preparation. It contains the active ingredients estradiol and norgestrel, which are forms of the female sex hormones oestrogen and progestogen. Cyclo-Progynova is a prescription-only medicine.
What is Cyclo-Progynova used for?
Cyclo-Progynova is used to treat various menopausal symptoms, including:
- Hot flashes;
- Excessive sweating (night sweats);
- Sleeping difficulties;
- Dryness of the vagina, mouth or eyes;
- Mood swings, anxiety or depression;
- Loss of libido (sex drive);
These and other symptoms are caused by declining levels of oestrogen during menopause. Oestrogen (in this case in the form of estradiol) can be given as a supplement to replace the falling levels in the body and help reduce these distressing symptoms. The norgestrel in Cyclo-Progynova tablets protects the uterus from side effects. Cyclo-Progynova is used to treat women who have not had a hysterectomy.
How to use Cyclo-Progynova
Cyclo-Progynova comes in blister packs containing 21 tablets. The white tablets taken in the first 11 days of each Cyclo-Progynova cycle contain only estradiol. The brown tablets taken in the next 10 days of each cycle contain both estradiol and norgestrel. After these 21 days you then have a seven- day, tablet-free break before the next cycle is started. During this break you will get a withdrawal bleed. You start the next pack after the seven tablet-free days are up. Cyclo-Progynova is available in convenient blister packs marked with the days of the week to help you remember if you have taken your tablet. For more information, see the package leaflet.
Unless otherwise advised by a doctor, the usual dose in adult women is:
- one tablet once a day for three weeks, followed by a seven-day break.
Do not exceed the recommended dose and read the package leaflet carefully before use.
Cyclo-Progynova may cause side effects, including:
- Breast tenderness or soreness;
- Gastrointestinal symptoms;
- Breakthrough bleeding or an increase in vaginal discharge;
- Mood swings.
Consult a doctor if these or other side effects are severe or persistent. Read the package leaflet before use. The package leaflet will also tell you that all women using HRT have a slightly increased risk of serious side effects such as cancer and thrombosis compared with women who don’t use HRT.
When not to use Cyclo-Progynova
Cyclo-Progynova is not suitable for everyone and should not be used if:
- You are allergic to estradiol, norgestrel or any other ingredient in this medicine;
- You have a known or past history of blood clots (thrombosis), liver disease, breast cancer or other oestrogen-related cancer;
- You have a severe kidney condition, blood disease, vaginal bleeding of unknown cause or an overgrowth of the lining of the womb (endometrial hyperplasia).
Consult a doctor on the use of Cyclo-Progynova if you have a health condition that is not listed above. It is also important to tell the doctor what other medicines you are taking when you order to make sure the combination with Cyclo-Progynova is safe.
Women who are still capable of becoming pregnant should not use Cyclo-Progynova if pregnant or breastfeeding. Warning: Cyclo-Progynova tablets do not protect against pregnancy. If possible pregnancy is to be avoided then some method of birth control should be used.
Cyclo-Progynova does not affect your ability to drive safely.
This medicine does not interact with alcohol.