What is FemSeven?
FemSeven patches are a continuous, oestrogen-only form of hormone replacement therapy (HRT), also known as hormone therapy (HT). This type of treatment is used to relieve the symptoms of menopause in women. The patches release estradiol through the skin into the bloodstream and replace the oestrogen that the body is no longer producing. This helps reduce menopausal symptoms. FemSeven patches are only available on prescription.
What is FemSeven used for?
FemSeven relieves a wide range of symptoms related to declining oestrogen levels in menopausal and post-menopausal women. Common menopausal symptoms include:
- Hot flushes;
- Excessive sweating (night sweats);
- Sleeping difficulties (e.g. difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep);
- Pain during sex and/or increased susceptibility to vaginal infections due to vaginal dryness;
- Mood swings;
- Anxiety, irritability or depression;
- Osteoporosis (decrease in bone mass and density).
HRT restores hormonal balance which in turn relieves menopausal symptoms. As FemSeven patches contain only oestrogen, they are most suitable for women who have had a hysterectomy. Women with an intact womb should also be prescribed a progestogen medicine to take with this medicine to oppose oestrogen’s effect on the womb lining and reduce the risk of endometrial cancer.
How to use FemSeven
FemSeven patches should be applied to clean, dry skin according to the instructions on the package leaflet. The patches should NOT be applied on or near the breasts, but below the waist on the lower back, buttocks or abdomen. The patch should be replaced with a new one on the same day each week. Each fresh patch should be applied to a slightly different area to avoid irritating the skin. You can swim, exercise, shower and have a bath without removing the patch. If a patch falls off before you are due to change it, you should replace it with a new one.
Unless otherwise advised by a doctor, the usual dose in adult women is:
- one fresh patch, once a week.
Always follow the prescription exactly - never use more or less than the doctor recommends. Read the package leaflet before use.
FemSeven patches may cause side effects, including:
- Skin irritation (itching, redness) at patch application site;
- Breakthrough bleeding or vaginal discharge;
- Breast tenderness or soreness.
Consult a doctor if these side effects do not subside. It is important to be aware that all women using HRT have an increased risk of serious side effects such as breast cancer and thrombosis compared with women who don’t use HRT. See the package leaflet for further information.
When not to use FemSeven
FemSeven is not suitable for everyone and should not be used if:
- You are allergic to estradiol or any other of its ingredients;
- You have a known or past history of thrombosis, breast cancer or other oestrogen-related cancer;
- You have vaginal bleeding of unknown cause or an overgrowth of the lining of the womb (endometrial hyperplasia);
- You have a blood or liver disease.
Consult a doctor on the use of FemSeven patches if you have a health condition that is not listed above or are currently on medication.
FemSeven patches are intended for women who are no longer in the fertile age bracket. Women who don’t fall within this group should not use FemSeven patches if pregnant or breastfeeding. FemSeven does not protect against pregnancy. If you are still capable of becoming pregnant, you should use a contraceptive of some kind as a precaution.
FemSeven patches do not interact with alcohol or affect your ability to drive safely.