What is Kliovance?
Kliovance is a medicine that is used to relieve menopausal symptoms. This hormone preparation is given as a supplement to replace the falling levels of oestrogen in the body. This is known as hormone replacement therapy (HRT) or hormone therapy (HT). Kliovance tablets contain two active ingredients: estradiol, an oestrogen hormone, and norethisterone, a progestogen hormone. Kliovance is a prescription-only medicine.
What is Kliovance used for?
Kliovance is used to treat menopausal symptoms, including:
- Hot flushes;
- Night sweats;
- Vaginal discomfort (dryness, irritation, pain during sex);
- Anxiety, depression or mood swings;
- Dry eyes or mouth;
- Loss of libido (sex drive);
The oestrogen in Kliovance tablets (in this case in the form of estradiol) replaces declining oestrogen levels in the body. This helps reduce or prevent menopausal symptoms. The added ingredient in Kliovance, norethisterone, protects the lining of the uterus from side effects. This type of HRT does not produce a monthly withdrawal bleed, and so is more suitable for women with an intact womb whose periods have already stopped.
How to use Kliovance
Kliovance comes in blister packs containing 28 tablets. The tablets should be taken at the same time each day with some water. They can be taken with or without food. Unless the doctor advises otherwise, the packs are taken back to back. You don’t have a break from the pills and you won’t have a withdrawal bleed. For more information, see the package leaflet.
Unless otherwise advised by a doctor, the usual dose in adult women is:
- one tablet once daily.
Do not exceed the recommended dose and read the package leaflet carefully before use.
Kliovance tablets may cause side effects, including:
- Nausea, stomach ache or other gastrointestinal symptoms;
- Breakthrough bleeding (spotting);
- Vaginal discharge;
- Breast tenderness or soreness;
- Mood swings.
Most side effects are usually only temporary and will disappear with continued use. Consult a doctor if the side effects are persistent. It is important to be aware that all women using HRT have a slightly increased risk of serious side effects such as breast cancer and thrombosis compared with women who don’t use HRT. See the package leaflet for further information.
When not to use Kliovance
Kliovance is not suitable for everyone. Do not use this HRT preparation if:
- You are allergic to estradiol, norethisterone or any other ingredient in this medicine;
- You have a known or past history of thrombosis, liver disease, breast cancer or other hormone-related cancer;
- You have a kidney disorder, blood disease, vaginal bleeding of unknown cause or an overgrowth of the lining of the womb (endometrial hyperplasia).
Consult a doctor on the use of Kliovance if you have a health condition that is not listed above or are currently on medication.
This medicine is intended for women who are no longer in the fertile age bracket. For women who don’t fall within this group:
- Do not use Kliovance if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, unless otherwise instructed by your doctor.
Warning: Kliovance is not a contraceptive pill! If you are still capable of becoming pregnant you should use a non-hormonal contraceptive as a precaution.
Kliovance does not interact with alcohol or affect your ability to drive safely.