Product review Metamucil
Share your experience with this product here. Did it live up to your expectations?
When you rate and review a product, your review is visible to any visitor to the site.
If you want to leave an anonymous review, then fill in ‘anonymous’ in the field for Name and City.
|Metamucil Lemon 30 sachets||£7.72||Add to shopping cart|
|Metamucil Orange 30 sachets||£7.72||Add to shopping cart|
What is Metamucil?
Metamucil contains psyllium husk, a substance that stimulates bowel movement. The natural fibres mix with the contents of the intestines, absorb liquids and swell up to create softer, bulky stool. Psyllium fibres also help digestion by increasing peristaltic movement, which stimulates evacuation of the bowels.
What is it used for?
Metamucil is used to treat constipation, a condition in which bowel emptying occurs infrequently or in which the stools are dry, hard and difficult to pass. Constipation is a common condition and can be caused by a number of things, including:
- Low fluid intake
- Inadequate fibre in the daily diet
- Lack of exercise
- Use of medication
Metamucil makes stool soft and thus enables smooth bowel movements. This medicine is suitable for long-term use if necessary.
How to use Metamucil
Metamucil is available in powder form in sachets, the contents of which should be dissolved in water, juice or other liquid beverage (not milk). Stir well and drink the mixture right away. Drink another glass of water or juice after this. Make sure to continue to drink plenty of fluids (at least one-and-a half to two litres a day) while you are using the medicine, as otherwise the symptoms may get worse.
Do not take this medicine before bedtime as this may cause constipation or even blockage in the intestines.
Unless otherwise prescribed by your doctor, the usual dose is:
- Adults and children aged 12 and over: one sachet, once to three times a day
- Children aged 6 to 12: one sachet, twice daily
Not to be used in children under the age of six.
Metamucil generally has few side effects, but in some cases it may cause:
- Bloating (this side effect typically disappears with continued use)
- Gastrointestinal symptoms such as stomach ache, nausea and diarrhoea
See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.
When not to use Metamucil
This medicine is not suitable for everyone and should not be used if:
- You are allergic to psyllium. This may cause asthma symptoms, or eye and nose irritation
- You are allergic to any other ingredient in this product
- You suffer from intestinal obstruction or acute stomach ache
- You have a narrowing in the intestine or another severe gastrointestinal disease
- You have a metabolic disorder called phenylketonuria
See the package leaflet for a complete list of contraindications.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding/driving ability/alcohol
Metamucil is safe to use by pregnant and breastfeeding women.
This medicine does not interact with alcohol or affect your ability to drive safely.