Product review Norethisterone
Share your experience with this product here. Did it live up to your expectations?
When you rate and review a product, your review is visible to any visitor to the site.
If you want to leave an anonymous review, then fill in 'anonymous' in the field for Name and City.
|Lowest price||£36.80 (incl. VAT)|
|Prescription required||:||Yes (consultation included in the price)|
|Product||Price (incl doctor’s consult)|
|Norethisterone 5 mg 30 tabl.||£36.80||Start consultation|
What is Norethisterone?
Norethisterone is a synthetic progestogen similar to the natural progestogens produced by the body. Together with oestrogen, this hormone plays an important role in women’s menstrual cycle and ovulation. Hormonal imbalance can cause health issues such as menstrual problems. Norethisterone restores hormonal balance in the body and so reduces these problems.
What is Norethisterone used for?
Norethisterone is used to treat menstrual disorders such as irregular periods, painful periods (dysmenorrhoea), abnormal vaginal bleeding, endometriosis and menopausal symptoms. Norethisterone can also be used to delay menstrual bleeding.
How to use Norethisterone
Norethisterone can be used in different ways. The doctor will recommend the right treatment for you depending on your symptoms. For most disorders, Norethisterone is taken during the second half of the menstrual cycle. To delay menstrual bleeding you should take the tablets three days before the start of your period for two weeks at the most. For menopausal symptoms and endometriosis, the tablets must be taken continuously and for an extended period of time. Norethisterone tablets should be swallowed whole, without chewing, with plenty of liquid and with food.
Unless otherwise advised by the doctor, the recommended dose for most disorders is:
- one 5-mg tablet once to three times a day for as long as the doctor prescribes.
It is important not to exceed the prescribed dose. This medicine is intended for women only and is not suitable for use in children. Read the package leaflet before use.
Norethisterone may cause side effects, including:
- Menstrual spotting or breakthrough bleeding;
- Changes in menstrual bleeding, e.g. irregular bleeding or sometimes stopping of bleeding (usually only with continued use);
- Gastrointestinal symptoms such as stomach ache, nausea, diarrhoea or constipation;
- Breast tenderness or soreness.
Consult a doctor if the side effects are persistent or severe. For a complete list of side effects, see the package leaflet.
When not to use Norethisterone
Norethisterone is not suitable for everyone and should not be used if:
- You are allergic to norethisterone or any other ingredient in this medicine;
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding;
- You have a blood clot in a vein (thrombosis) or the lungs (pulmonary embolism) or a history of this;
- You an active liver disease or a history of liver disease (e.g. liver cancer);
- You have active breast cancer or a history of breast cancer;
- You have an active hormone-related cancer or a history of hormone-related cancer;
- You have diabetes and damaged blood vessels;
- You have vaginal bleeding of unknown cause.
Consult a doctor on the use of Norethisterone if you have a health condition that is not listed above. It is important that you tell the doctor what other medicines or nutritional supplements you are currently taking when you order. This is to avoid potential drug interaction. For more information, see the package leaflet.
Norethisterone should not be used by pregnant or breastfeeding women without consulting a doctor first.
This medicine does not interact with alcohol or affect your ability to drive safely.