What is Rapitil?
Rapitil eye drops contain the active ingredient nedocromil sodium, which is a medicine used to relieve the symptoms of allergies such as itching and watery eyes. Rapitil eye drops are available online through a Dokteronline.com partner pharmacy.
What is this medicine used for?
Rapitil eye drops are used to relieve symptoms of eye allergies (allergic conjunctivitis) caused by hay fever, pet allergies or dust mite allergies. The typical symptoms of an eye allergy include redness, itching, swelling and a watery discharge. The active ingredient in these eye drops prevents substances that cause the inflammation from being released when the cells encounter an allergen. This prevents the allergic response and relieves the symptoms of the allergy.
How to use Rapitil eye drops
Rapitil eye drops should be used as follows:
- Wash your hands;
- Open the bottle, tilt your head backwards and gently pull the lower lid of your eye out to form a pocket;
- Release one drop in the affected eye;
- Close your eye for a minute, and press gently on the side of your nose where the corner of your eye meets your nose. This helps to stop the drop from draining away and keeps it in your eye;
- Close the bottle.
When using the eye drops you should take care to not touch the tip of the dropper to any surface, or to your eye, in order to avoid contaminating the medicine. The eye drops keep for four weeks once the bottle has been opened. Do not use this medicine continuously for more than 12 weeks without consulting a doctor. It can take some time before the effect of this medicine is noticed. Do not stop but continue to use the drops as directed by your doctor.
Rapitil eye drops contain the preservative benzalkonium chloride, which can be absorbed by soft contact lenses and cause eye irritation. You should not wear soft contact lenses while you are using these eye drops. If you wear hard contact lenses you should remove them before putting in these eye drops. Wait at least 15 minutes before putting your lenses back in.
Rapitil eye drops can be ordered online from our partner pharmacies. Unless otherwise prescribed by a doctor, the recommended dose in adults and children aged six and above is:
- one drop in the infected eye, two to four times a day.
This medicine is not suitable for children under six years of age, unless a doctor advises otherwise. Read the package leaflet before use.
All medications can cause side effects, although some people may not experience any. Side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine include:
- Temporary burning, stinging or soreness after putting the drops into the eyes;
- Blurred vision after using the drops. This will pass once the medicine has been absorbed in the eye;
- Hypersensitivity reactions such as irritated or itchy eyes. If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor immediately.
See the package leaflet for more information on side effects.
When not to use Rapitil eye drops
Rapitil is not suitable for everyone and should not be used if:
- You are allergic to nedocromil sodium or any other ingredient in this medicine.
If you are already using eye medication, you should consult a doctor on the use of Rapitil eye drops to avoid potential interactions.
Do not use Rapitil eye drops if you are pregnant or breastfeeding without consulting a doctor first.
Rapitil eye drops may cause your vision to blur temporarily after you have put the drops in your eyes. Do not drive or operate machinery until this has worn off.
This medicine does not interact with alcohol.