Product review Sandrena gel
Share your experience with this product here. Did it live up to your expectations?
When you rate and review a product, your review is visible to any visitor to the site.
If you want to leave an anonymous review, then fill in ‘anonymous’ in the field for Name and City.
|Lowest price||£66.33 (incl. VAT)|
|Prescription required||:||Yes (consultation included in the price)|
|Product||Price (incl doctor’s consult)|
|Sandrena Gel 1mg/1g 28 sachets||£70.96||Start consultation|
|Sandrena Gel 500mcg/500mg 28 sachets||£66.33||Start consultation|
What is Sandrena Gel?
Sandrena Gel is a form of hormone replacement therapy (HRT). It is used to relieve the symptoms of menopause. The gel contains the active ingredient estradiol, which is a naturally occurring form of the female sex hormone oestrogen. Estradiol is absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream to counter oestrogen deficiency in menopausal or post-menopausal women. Sandrena Gel is a prescription-only medicine.
What is Sandrena Gel used for?
Sandrena Gel is used to treat menopausal symptoms such as:
- Hot flashes;
- Night sweats;
- Vaginal discomfort (dryness, irritation, pain during sex);
- Dry eyes;
- Mood swings or depression;
- Sleeping difficulties;
- Loss of libido (sex drive);
- Osteoporosis (decrease in bone mass and density).
As Sandrena Gel is applied topically to the skin, it is an excellent option for women who do not want to take oral medication. Women who have not had a hysterectomy should also be prescribed a progestogen medicine to take with this medicine. This is because oestrogen stimulates the growth of the womb lining, which can lead to endometrial cancer if the growth is unopposed.
How to use Sandrena Gel
Sandrena Gel is available in sachets of 0.5 mg and 1 mg. The doctor will recommend the right strength for you depending on your symptoms. Apply the contents of the sachet to a clean and non-irritated area of the skin on the abdomen, buttocks or thigh. The gel should NOT be applied on or near the breasts or the face. Apply the gel to a slightly different area of the skin each time to avoid irritation. Wash your hands after applying the gel and avoid contact with your eyes. Some women may need to use the gel on a continuous basis. Other women may have a one-week break from using the gel every month. The doctor will recommend the right dosage regimen for you.
Unless otherwise advised by a doctor, the usual dose in adult women is:
- one dose applied to the skin once daily for as long as the doctor prescribes.
Do not exceed the recommended dose and read the package leaflet closely before use.
Sandrena Gel may cause side effects such as:
- Breast tenderness;
- Gastrointestinal symptoms (nausea, stomach ache);
- Breakthrough bleeding (spotting).
In most cases, these side effects will go away on their own. Consult a doctor if these or other side effects are severe or persistent. It is important to be aware that in rare cases HRT can cause serious side effects such as thrombosis. See the package leaflet for more information.
When not to use Sandrena Gel
Sandrena Gel is not suitable for everyone and should not be used if:
- You are allergic to estradiol or any other ingredient in this medicine;
- You have a known or past history of thrombosis, liver disease, breast cancer or other oestrogen-related cancer;
- You have vaginal bleeding of unknown cause or an overgrowth of the lining of the womb (endometrial hyperplasia);
- You have a serious kidney or blood disease.
Consult a doctor on the use of Sandrena Gel if you have a health condition that is not listed above or are currently on medication.
The following advice applies to women who may still be fertile:
- Sandrena Gel should not be used during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. This medicine does not protect against pregnancy. If you are still capable of becoming pregnant, you should use a contraceptive of some kind as a precaution.
Sandrena Gel does not interact with alcohol or affect your ability to drive safely.