Sildenafil package leaflet
This information brochure contains general information on Sildenafil. We advise you to also read the package leaflet closely before using this medicine. If you still have questions after consulting this information, please contact a doctor or pharmacist.
What is Sildenafil and what is it used for?
Sildenafil is a medicine used in the treatment of Erectile Dysfunction (ED). The active ingredient (sildenafil) works by preventing the action of an enzyme called phosphodiesterase. This enzyme disrupts the ability of the body to produce an erection: it prevents blood flow to the penis and consequently prevents the penis from becoming hard. Sildenafil improves the blood circulation in the penis, improving blood vessel response to sexual stimuli and thus mens ability to have a normal erection. With sexual stimulation Sildenafil produces an erection that lasts four to five hours.
What you need to know before using Sildenafil
There are a number of things that you should take into consideration before using this medicine:
- Do not use this medicine if you are hypersensitive to sildenafil or any other of its ingredients;
- Do not use this medicine if you have a heart, liver or eye condition, or with any form of nitrate medication or products that release nitrogen monoxide (see the Sildenafil package leaflet);
- This medicine interacts with other medicines, including some antibiotics and HIV medications (see the Sildenafil package leaflet);
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine. Drinking alcohol can temporarily impair your ability to get an erection.
How to use Sildenafil
Sildenafil is available in various strengths (25 mg, 50 mg and 100 mg.) Your doctor will recommend the right dose for you. You should take Sildenafil about one hour before you plan to have sex. Swallow the tablet whole with a drink of water, preferably on an empty stomach. Sildenafil takes about 30 minutes to an hour to take effect. It may take longer if the tablet is taken with food. The maximum frequency of use is once per 24-hour period and no more than three times a week.
Possible side effects
Sildenafil may cause side effects, such as:
- Facial flushing;
- Gastrointestinal symptoms;
- Blurred vision, light sensitivity or other effects on vision.
Most side effects are mild and will disappear over the course of time. See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible side effects. In the information brochure Experiences with Sildenafil you can read what other customers have said about this medicine.
How to store Sildenafil
Keep Sildenafil tablets out of reach of children. Store this medicine at room temperature and in the original pack. Do not use this medicine after the expiration date has passed (see packaging or label).
Sildenafil contains an active ingredient of the same name: sildenafil. See the Sildenafil package leaflet for a complete list of the ingredients and information on the manufacturer and marketing authorisation holder of this product.
Product – Price (incl doctor's consult)
Read the package leaflet for more information about risks and side effects, or ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice.