Azithromycin package leaflet
This information brochure contains general information on Azithromycin. We also advise you to carefully read the package leaflet before using this medicine. If you have any questions after consulting this information, please contact a doctor or pharmacist.
What is Azithromycin and what is it used for?
Azithromycin is a macrolide antibiotic, a type of medicine that is used to treat bacterial infections. The active ingredient azithromycin is absorbed into the bloodstream and can reach any tissue in the body. It kills off the harmful bacteria, which helps cure the infection. Azithromycin is used to treat various conditions, including:
- STDs such as chlamydia and gonorrhoea;
- Respiratory infections such as pneumonia, middle ear infection, bronchitis, sinus infection and laryngitis;
- Lyme disease and Q fever;
- Skin infections.
What you need to know before using Azithromycin
There are a few things that you should take into consideration before using this medicine:
- Do not use this medicine if you are hypersensitive to azithromycin or any other of its ingredients;
- Do not use this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding;
- This medicine may interact with other medicines, including some anti-coagulants and migraine medications (see the package leaflet);
- Always finish the entire course of antibiotics, even if you feel better. Stopping early could cause the infection to return.
How to use Azithromycin
Azithromycin is available in various forms, such as tablets, capsules and oral solution (suspension). The tablets and capsules should be swallowed whole, without chewing, with plenty of liquid. Young children are usually given the oral solution, which comes with a dosage beaker or syringe for measuring the proper amount. The general recommended dose in adults and children weighing 45 kilos or more is:
- 1500 mg, divided over three to five days.
Possible side effects
Azithromycin may have side effects, although not everyone gets them. Side effects that are known to be associated with this antibiotic include:
- Gastrointestinal symptoms (nausea, diarrhoea, flatulence, stomach ache);
- Headache, dizziness.
How to store Azithromycin
Keep Azithromycin out of reach of children. Store at room temperature and in the original pack. Do not use after the expiration date (see packaging or label).
Azithromycin is available as tablets and capsules of 250 or 500 mg, and as 40 mg/ml oral suspension. For a full list of ingredients and information on the manufacturer and marketing authorisation holder of this product, please refer to the package leaflet.
Important! We do not offer any products ourselves, but offer the possibility to request a treatment (possibly with medication).
If you wish to obtain certain medication, you can buy these products at your own pharmacy or instruct us to arrange this in your name at a registered EU pharmacy. For prescription only medication we also arrange a consultation for you with a registered EU doctor.
* Instruction costs include VAT.