Attention please: Climagest has been discontinued by the manufacturer. Please follow this link to find other medicines in the category Hormone Replacement Therapy.
What is Climagest?
Climagest is a hormone replacement therapy (HRT) preparation. It contains two active ingredients: estradiol and norethisterone. These are forms of the main female sex hormones oestrogen and progesterone. Women’s ovaries gradually produce less and less oestrogen in the period up to menopause, and oestrogen blood levels decline as a result. Climagest replaces the falling hormone levels in the body and so helps reduce the distressing symptoms of menopause. Climagest is a prescription-only medicine.
What is Climagest used for?
Climagest tablets are used to relieve menopausal symptoms, including:
- Hot flashes;
- Night sweats;
- Dryness of eyes, vagina and/or mouth);
- Mood swings or depression;
- Sleep problems (difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep);
- Loss of libido, painful intercourse;
- Decrease in bone mass and density (osteoporosis).
How to use Climagest
Climagest comes in strips of 28 tablets. The tablets taken in the first 16 days of each Climagest cycle contain only estradiol, while the tablets of a different colour that are taken in the last 12 days of each cycle contain both estradiol and norethisterone. Take your first tablet from the blister pack corresponding to the day of the week. Follow the direction of the arrows on the blister pack until all the tablets have been taken. The tablets should be taken at the same time each day with some water, and can be taken with or without food. Climagest tablets should be taken back to back without a tablet-free interval. If used for more than two years, its use should be reviewed by a doctor.
Unless otherwise advised by the doctor, the usual dose in adult women is:
- one tablet once daily.
Climagest may cause side effects. The most commonly noted side effects include:
- Gastrointestinal symptoms;
- Breakthrough bleeding;
- Increase in vaginal discharge;
- Breast tenderness or soreness;
- Mood swings.
When not to use Climagest
Climagest is not suitable for everyone. Do not use this HRT preparation if:
- You are allergic to estradiol, norethisterone or any other ingredient in this medicine;
- You have a known or past history of thrombosis, liver disease, breast cancer or any other oestrogen-related cancer;
- You have a severe kidney condition, blood disease, vaginal bleeding of unknown cause or an overgrowth of the lining of the womb (endometrial hyperplasia).
Climagest is usually given to women who are no longer in the fertile age bracket. Women who don’t fall within this group and who are pregnant or breastfeeding should not use this medicine, unless the doctor advises otherwise. Warning: Climagest is not a contraceptive pill!
This medicine does not interact with alcohol or affect your ability to drive safely.