Attention please: Climesse has been discontinued by the manufacturer. Please follow this link to find other medicines in the category Hormone Replacement Therapy.
What is Climesse?
Climesse is a continuous form of combined hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Its active ingredients estradiol and norethisterone, which are forms of the main female sex hormones oestrogen and progestogen, supplement declining hormone levels in the body. This helps reduce or prevent the symptoms of menopause. Climesse is a prescription-only medicine.
What is Climesse used for?
Climesse is used to treat menopausal symptoms, including:
- Hot flushes;
- Excessive sweating (night sweats);
- Dryness of mucous membranes (vagina, eyes and/or mouth);
- Anxiety, mood swings or depression;
- Painful sex;
- Loss of libido (sex drive);
How to use Climesse
Climesse comes in strips of 28 tablets. Take one tablet every day, following the arrows around the strip. Climesse tablets should be swallowed whole with plenty of water without chewing. They can be taken with or without food. When you finish all 28, start with a new strip the following day. Climesse does not cause a monthly withdrawal bleed. If used for more than two years, its use should be reviewed by a doctor.
Unless otherwise advised by the doctor, the usual dose in adult women is:
- one tablet once daily.
Treatment with Climesse may cause side effects, including:
- Gastrointestinal symptoms;
- Breakthrough bleeding;
- Vaginal discharge;
- Breast tenderness or soreness;
- Mood swings.
When not to use Climesse
Climesse is not suitable for everyone. Do not use this HRT preparation if:
- You are allergic to estradiol, norethisterone or any other ingredient in this medicine;
- You have a known or past history of thrombosis, liver disease, breast cancer or other hormone-related cancer;
- You have vaginal bleeding of unknown cause or an overgrowth of the lining of the womb (endometrial hyperplasia);
- You have a blood disease or severe kidney disorder.
This medicine is intended for women who are no longer in the fertile age bracket. Women who don’t fall within this group should not use Climesse if pregnant or breastfeeding, unless otherwise instructed by a doctor.
Warning: Climesse is not a contraceptive pill! If you are still capable of becoming pregnant you should use a form of contraception as a precaution.
This medicine does not interact with alcohol or affect your ability to drive safely.