What is Clobetasone Butyrate?
Clobetasone Butyrate is a hormone cream. It contains the active ingredient clobetasone butyrate which is classed as a moderately potent topical corticosteroid. This medicine is used for treating inflammatory skin conditions causing symptoms such as redness, swelling, scaling, itching and pain. Clobetasone Butyrate cream or ointment is a prescription-only medicine that can be ordered online via a Dokteronline.com partner pharmacy.
What is this medicine used for?
Clobetasone Butyrate cream and ointment are used for treating inflammatory skin conditions such as:
- Seborrheic eczema (yellowish, scaly plaques of skin, often between the eyebrows or around the mouth or nose);
- Psoriasis (skin disease in which excessive skin cell production leads to the development of inflamed, scaly patches);
How to use Clobetasone Butyrate cream or ointment
Apply the ointment or cream to the affected areas of skin. Apply the product thinly to minimise the chance of side effects. Wash your hands directly after applying the product and avoid contact with the eyes. Rinse thoroughly with water if accidental contact occurs. Wait for the cream or ointment to be absorbed completely. Do not get the treated areas wet within half an hour of application.
Continuous, long-term use of Clobetasone Butyrate should be avoided. Consult a doctor if after several weeks of treatment with this medicine there is little or no improvement in your symptoms. If this medicine does have the desired effect, the dose should be tapered down as your symptoms improve. Start with applying the cream or ointment only once a day, then every other day, then every other two days and so on.
Unless otherwise advised, the usual dose in adults and children is:
- A thin layer applied to the affected areas twice a day. Discontinue use as soon as possible and do not use longer than absolutely necessary. Do not use more than 30 to 60 grams of cream or ointment a week.
Although side-effects from moderately potent corticosteroids like Clobetasone Butyrate are rare, you may experience:
- Thinning of the skin at the application site;
- Patches or striae (stripe-like stretch marks) on the treated skin;
- Hypersensitivity reactions;
- A decrease in the production of natural hormones by the adrenal glands (only if used long term).
When not to use this medicine
Clobetasone Butyrate is not suitable for everyone and should not be used if:
- You are allergic to Clobetasone Butyrate or any other ingredient in this medicine.
If you are pregnant, planning to conceive or breastfeeding, do not use Clobetasone Butyrate cream or ointment without consulting a doctor first.
This medicine does not interact with alcohol or affect your ability to drive safely.