Codeine package leaflet
This information brochure contains general information on Codeine. We also advise you to carefully read the package leaflet before using this medicine. If you have any questions after consulting this information, please contact a doctor or pharmacist.
What is Codeine and what is it used for?
Codeine is an opioid (morphine-like) painkiller. The active ingredient, codeine phosphate, blocks the transmission of pain signals in the nerve pathways before they reach the brain. Codeine is used to treat moderate to severe pain. It is prescribed for rheumatic pain, nerve pain, the flu, post-operative pain or pain from illness. Because Codeine also helps to suppress coughing, it is a good remedy for persistent tickly coughs. Codeine is only available on prescription.
What you need to know before using Codeine
If you are taking Codeine for the first time, please read through the warnings below:
- Do not use Codeine if you are allergic to the active ingredient codeine phosphate or any of the other ingredients in this medicine;
- Codeine may cause drowsiness. Stay out of traffic if you experience this side effect;
- Alcohol may trigger or worsen side effects such as sleepiness and dizziness. You should therefore avoid drinking alcohol while taking Codeine;
- Do not use this medicine without consulting your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. In any case you should avoid taking it during the last weeks of pregnancy;
- Codeine interacts with other medicines, including certain strong painkillers. Therefore, it is important to tell the doctor what other medicines you are taking when you order.
How to use Codeine
Codeine is available in various strengths. The doctor will recommend the right strength for you depending on your pain or cough symptoms. Codeine tablets should be swallowed whole without chewing. Codeine takes about half an hour to become effective when taken on an empty stomach. A full stomach can cause it to take effect in a delayed way. Codeine provides about four hours of relief. Do not take this painkiller for an extended period of time without consulting a doctor. Always follow the prescribed dosage and read the package leaflet closely before use.
Possible side effects
Codeine may cause side effects, including:
- Sleepiness, drowsiness, impaired reaction times;
How to store Codeine
Keep medicine out of reach of children. Store Codeine at room temperature and in the original pack. Do not use after the expiration date (see packaging or label).
Codeine contains the active ingredient codeine phosphate. For a full list of ingredients and information on the manufacturer and marketing authorisation holder of this product, see the package leaflet.
The official package leaflet is available for online viewing on the Codeine product page.
Important! We do not offer any products ourselves, but offer the possibility to request a treatment (possibly with medication).
If you wish to obtain certain medication, you can buy these products at your own pharmacy or instruct us to arrange this in your name at a registered EU pharmacy. For prescription only medication we also arrange a consultation for you with a registered EU doctor.
* Instruction costs include VAT.