Doxycycline package leaflet
This information brochure contains general information on Doxycycline. We advise you to also read the package leaflet closely before using this medicine. If you still have any questions after consulting this information, please contact a doctor or pharmacist.
What is Doxycycline and what is it used for?
Doxycycline is an antibiotic of the tetracycline type. Tetracyclines have the ability to inhibit the growth of a wide variety of bacteria. Doxycycline is therefore a fast and effective cure for infection. This antibiotic is prescribed to treat various conditions, including:
- STDs such as chlamydia, gonorrhoea and syphilis;
- Respiratory infections such as bronchitis, middle ear infection, sinus infection, laryngitis;
- Urinary infections such as bladder infection;
- Lyme’s disease and Q-fever;
- Skin infections.
What you need to know before using Doxycycline
There are a number of things you should take into consideration before you start using this medicine:
- Do not use Doxycycline if you are hypersensitive to doxycycline or other tetracyclines, or any other ingredient in this medicine;
- Doxycycline is not suitable for children under the age of eight due to the potential for disrupting bone development and tooth discolouration;
- Do not use Doxycycline if you are pregnant or breastfeeding;
- Doxycycline interacts with other medicines, including some stomach acid inhibitors and treatments for skin problems (see the package leaflet).
- It is important to finish the entire course, even if you feel better. Stopping early could cause the infection to return.
How to use Doxycycline
Doxycycline is available in various forms, such as tablets, capsules and effervescent tablets. The tablets and capsules should be swallowed whole, without chewing, with plenty of liquid. The effervescent tablets should be dissolved in a half a glass of water, stirred well and drunk immediately. The general recommended dose for adults and children weighing more than 50 kg is:
- two 100-mg tablets or capsules the first day (= 24 hours), followed by one 100-mg tablet or capsule a day.
Possible side effects
Doxycycline can cause side effects. Reported side effects include:
- Increased sensitivity of the skin to UV light (skin irritation, itching or sunburn after exposure to sunlight or sunbeds);
- Gastrointestinal symptoms (nausea, diarrhoea).
How to store Doxycycline
Keep Doxycycline out of reach of children. Store this medicine at room temperature and in the original package. Do not use this medicine after the expiration date has passed (see package or label).
Doxycycline contains the active ingredient doxycycline. See the package leaflet for a complete list of the ingredients and information on the manufacturer and marketing authorisation holder of this product.
Important! We do not offer any products ourselves, but offer the possibility to request a treatment (possibly with medication).
If you wish to obtain certain medication, you can buy these products at your own pharmacy or instruct us to arrange this in your name at a registered EU pharmacy. For prescription only medication we also arrange a consultation for you with a registered EU doctor.
* Instruction costs include VAT.