Important! We do not offer any products ourselves, but offer the possibility to request a treatment (possibly with medication).
If you wish to obtain certain medication, you can buy these products at your own pharmacy or instruct us to arrange this in your name at a registered EU pharmacy. For prescription only medication we also arrange a consultation for you with a registered EU doctor.
* Instruction costs include VAT.
What is Efracea (Oracea)?
Efracea capsules contain doxycycline, which is a type of medicine called a tetracycline antibiotic. Doxycycline kills a wide variety of bacteria and is used to treat bacterial infections such as skin infections, respiratory infections, STDs and malaria. Efracea is a prescription-only medicine.
What is it used for?
Efracea (Oracea)has been designed specifically for the treatment of rosacea. Rosacea is a skin condition where red patches appear on the cheeks and nose, sometimes accompanied by bumps, spots and veins that are visible in the skin as red lines. Efracea contains a very low dose of doxycycline, which makes it suitable for long-term use. The active ingredient treats the skin infections from the inside out. Treatment with Efracea calms the skin and greatly reduces and in some cases totally eliminates the symptoms of rosacea.
How to use Efracea (Oracea)
Efracea is available in capsule form. The capsules should be swallowed whole with plenty of water while you are sitting or standing. This is to prevent the medicine getting stuck and irritating the throat. It is best to take the capsules with or directly after your meal to avoid stomach distress. Do not take dairy products or indigestion remedies or antacids at the same time as this medicine, because these can reduce the absorption of doxycycline from the gut. Efracea is usually prescribed as a course of several months. If your symptoms have not improved in six to eight weeks, talk to your doctor.
Unless otherwise prescribed by a doctor, the usual dose in adults is:
- one 40-mg tablet a day, preferably taken in the morning.
Always follow the prescription exactly - never take more or less than the doctor recommends. The duration of the treatment must be determined by a doctor. Read the package leaflet before use.
Efracea may cause side effects, including:
- Nose, sinus or throat infections;
- Fungal infection of the mouth, vagina or other mucous membranes;
- Gastrointestinal symptoms (stomach ache, diarrhoea);
- Increased sensitivity of the skin to UV light: use good quality sun cream and avoid exposure to direct sunlight and sunbeds.
Consult a doctor if these or other side effects are severe. For more information on possible side effects, see the package leaflet.
When not to use Efracea (Oracea)
Efracea is not suitable for everyone and should not be used if:
- You are allergic to other tetracycline antibiotics, the active ingredient doxycycline or any other ingredient in this medicine;
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding;
- You are taking a type of medicine known as a retinoid (medicine to treat skin conditions, e.g. isotretinoin);
- You have a condition where the production of gastric acid in the stomach is absent (achlorhydria);
- You have had duodenal surgery.
Consult a doctor if you have a health condition that is not listed above or are currently on medication. This is to avoid potential interaction and to make sure that the combination with Efracea is safe. For more information about contraindications and interactions, see the package leaflet.
Efracea (Oracea) should not be used during pregnancy and while breastfeeding as it may have harmful effects on the developing baby’s teeth or bones.
This medicine does not interact with alcohol or affect your ability to drive safely.