What is Elleste Solo?
Elleste Solo is a hormone preparation for menopausal women. It contains the active ingredient estradiol, which is a naturally occurring form of the female sex hormone, oestrogen. Elleste Solo tablets can be used as a supplement to replace the falling hormone levels in the body and help reduce the distressing symptoms of menopause. This type of treatment is called hormone replacement therapy (HRT) or simply hormone therapy (HT). Elleste Solo is a prescription-only medicine.
What is Elleste Solo used for?
Elleste Solo is used to treat menopausal symptoms, including:
- Hot flushes;
- Night sweats;
- Vaginal dryness;
- Dry eyes and/or mouth;
- Mood swings or depression;
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep;
- Loss of libido (sex drive);
- Osteoporosis (decrease in bone mass and density).
How to use Elleste Solo
Elleste Solo is an oestrogen-only form of HRT. Women who have not had a hysterectomy should also be prescribed a progestogen medicine to take with this medicine to protect the uterus from side effects. Elleste Solo is available in blister packs containing 28 tablets. The tablets should be taken at the same time each day with some water. They can be taken with or without food. Elleste Solo tablets should be taken back to back without a tablet-free interval. If used for more than two years, its use should be reviewed by a doctor.
Unless otherwise advised by the doctor, the usual dose in adult women is:
- one tablet once daily.
Elleste Solo may cause side effects. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine:
- Gastrointestinal symptoms;
- Breakthrough bleeding or an increase in vaginal discharge;
- Breast tenderness or soreness;
- Mood swings.
When not to use Elleste Solo
Elleste Solo is not suitable for everyone. Do not use this HRT preparation if:
- You are allergic to estradiol or any other ingredient in this medicine;
- You have a known or past history of thrombosis, liver disease, breast cancer or other oestrogen-related cancers;
- You have vaginal bleeding of unknown cause or an overgrowth of the lining of the womb (endometrial hyperplasia);
- You have a blood disease or kidney disorder.
Elleste Solo is usually given to women who are no longer in the fertile age bracket. Women who don’t fall within this group and who are pregnant or breastfeeding should not use this medicine, unless the doctor advises otherwise. Warning: Elleste Solo is not a contraceptive pill. If you are still capable of becoming pregnant, you should use a contraceptive of some kind.
This medicine does not interact with alcohol or affect your ability to drive safely.