A doctor will review your order and write you a prescription, if appropriate. This prescription is then forwarded to a pharmacy. The pharmacy will have your medicine delivered to you within one to three working days. Read more about this process here.
What is Primolut N?
Primolut N tablets contain the active ingredient norethisterone, which is a synthetic hormone similar to the naturally occurring sex hormone, progesterone. This hormone plays an important role in women's menstrual cycle and fertility. Progesterone is responsible for ovulation, among other things, and also helps keep periods regular. A shortage of progesterone can cause health issues such as menstrual problems.
What is Primolut N used for?
Primolut N is used to treat menstrual disorders such as irregular periods, painful periods (dysmenorrhoea), endometriosis and menopausal symptoms. Primolut N can also be used to delay menstrual bleeding.
How to use Primolut N
Primolut N tablets are usually taken on selected days during the second half of the menstrual cycle, depending on the disorder being treated. To delay menstrual bleeding you should take the tablets three days before the start of your period, for two weeks at the most. Women with menopause symptoms or endometriosis should take a tablet every day for an extended period of time. The number of tablets to take, how often and for how long must be determined by a doctor. Primolut N tablets should be swallowed whole with some water, preferably with food.
Instructions for use
Unless otherwise advised by the doctor, the recommended dose is:
- one 5-mg tablet once to twice a day for as long as the doctor prescribes.
This medicine is only intended for women. Read the package leaflet before use.
Side effects that are known to be associated with Primolut N include:
- Menstrual spotting or breakthrough bleeding (usually only temporary). Consult a doctor if it persists;
- Irregular bleeding or stopping of bleeding when treatment with this medicine is discontinued (usually only with long-term use);
- Gastrointestinal symptoms such as stomach ache, nausea, diarrhoea or constipation;
- Breast tenderness or soreness. If these side effects linger for more than three months, consult a doctor.
For a complete list of possible side effects, see the package leaflet.
When not to use Primolut N
Primolut N is not suitable for everyone and should not be used if:
- You are allergic to norethisterone or any other ingredient in this medicine;
- You are pregnant;
- You have a history of severe itching, jaundice or rash called herpes gestationis during a previous pregnancy;
- You have or have a history of thrombosis (blood clot in a vein or artery);
- You have an active liver disease;
- You have or have had liver or breast cancer.
Consult a doctor on the use of this medicine if you have a health condition that is not listed above. Primolut N may interact with other medicines. It is therefore important that you tell the doctor what other medicines or nutritional supplements you are currently taking when you order. For more information, see the package leaflet.
Do not use Primolut N if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding. Always consult a doctor before using any medicine. This medicine does not interact with alcohol or affect your ability to drive safely.