Losing a lot of weight isn’t easy, especially for people who are obese. The good news is that there’s a new drug on the market called Saxenda that boosts weight loss. Saxenda has undergone extensive trails in the United States, a country where one out of three adults is obese. The results of these trails were promising: the test subjects who were given Saxenda lost significantly more weight than the control group that was given a placebo.
Who can use Saxenda?
Saxenda cannot be used by just anybody. This medicine has been designed specifically for seriously overweight and obese people with a body mass index (BMI) of at least 27 kg/m2 and with specific risk factors such as diabetes, high cholesterol or other harmful diseases. People with a BMI of 30 kg/m2 or more are considered a candidate for this drug, even without risk factors.
How to use Saxenda
Saxenda is supplied as a solution for subcutaneous administration. The active ingredient liraglutide is injected into the skin using a superfine needle. This is not as scary as it seems. With repeated use it will become easier and easier to administer the injections. A few tips:
- The best injection site is the front of the thigh, abdomen or upper arm;
- Do not inject into a vein;
- Use a new needle for each injection to prevent infections and leaking;
- Read the package leaflet before use for step-by-step instructions on how to use the pre-filled injection pen.
Tips for losing weight with Saxenda
Saxenda is a promising medicine, not a miracle cure. For the optimum result it is important that you combine using this weight loss drug with a healthy diet and exercise. Here are some tips to help you lose weight faster with Saxenda:
- Chew gum when you finish your meal. This will help you restrain from taking another helping while you wait for the rest to finish their meal;
- Try to use as little salt as possible. When you consume salt, your body holds on to water (and pounds);
- If you are having trouble eating less or eating healthily, ask a dietician for help;
- Exercise daily for half an hour. You don’t have to practise a sport: walking the dog or riding your bike are also activities that are considered exercise.
Share your experiences with Saxenda!
Saxenda has only recently been released onto the market. This means not many people have used it yet. At Dokteronline.com, we find it important to share patient experiences as much as possible. Have you used the new weight loss drug or are you using it at the moment? Then we would love to hear your experiences. Did you manage to lose a lot of weight? Were there any side effects? How did you feel about using the injection pen? Go to the Saxenda product page and leave your review online. Your comments will surely be very helpful for other users!