What is Progynova TS?
Progynova TS hormone patches are used to treat menopausal symptoms. The patches contain hormones to replace the ones the body no longer makes after menopause. This is known as hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Progynova TS is a prescription-only medicine.
What is Progynova TS used for?
During menopause, women’s ovaries produce less and less oestrogen, and oestrogen levels decline as a result. The declining levels of oestrogen can cause distressing physical and psychological symptoms, such as:
- Hot flashes;
- Excessive sweating (night sweats);
- Sleeping difficulties (e.g. difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep);
- Vaginal discomfort (dryness, irritation, pain during sex, increased susceptibility to vaginal infections);
- Anxiety, irritability or depression;
- Osteoporosis (decrease in bone mass and density).
How to use Progynova TS
Progynova TS patches should be applied to clean, dry and undamaged skin. Each fresh patch should be applied to a slightly different area on the back, buttocks or hip. Note: patches should NOT be applied on or near the breasts. The patch should be replaced with a new one on the same day each week. You can swim, exercise, shower and have a bath without removing the patch. If a patch falls off before you are due to change it, you should replace it with a new one. A doctor should determine if you should use the patches on a continuous basis or cyclically (three weeks followed by a patch-free week).
Progynova TS patches are available in various strengths. The doctor will recommend the right strength for you depending on your symptoms. Unless otherwise advised by a doctor, the usual regimen in adult women is:
- one fresh patch, once a week.
Progynova TS patches may cause side effects, such as:
- Skin irritation (itching, redness) at patch application site;
- Breakthrough bleeding or vaginal discharge;
- Breast tenderness or soreness.
When not to use Progynova TS
Progynova TS patches are not suitable for everyone and should not be used if:
- You are allergic to estradiol or any other ingredient in this medicine;
- You have a known or past history of thrombosis, breast cancer or other hormone-related cancer;
- You have vaginal bleeding of unknown cause or an overgrowth of the lining of the womb (endometrial hyperplasia);
- You have a blood or liver disease.
Progynova TS patches are intended for use in women who are no longer in the fertile age bracket. The following advice is for women who don’t fall within this group:
- Progynova TS patches should not be used during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Progynova TS patches do not protect against pregnancy. If possible pregnancy is to be avoided then some method of birth control should be used.