Tramal package leaflet
This information brochure contains general information on Tramal. We advise you to also read the package leaflet on the product page closely before you start using this medicine. If you still have questions after consulting this information, please contact a doctor or pharmacist.
What is Tramal and what is it used for?
Tramal is an opioid (morphine-like) painkiller. Opioids are used to treat moderate to severe pain. This medicine is prescribed when paracetamol and anti-inflammatory painkillers alone do not provide adequate pain relief. Tramal delivers effective relief from different kinds of pain, including:
- Nerve pain (such as facial pain);
- Pain from surgery or injury;
- Pain caused by a serious illness;
- Rheumatic pain (arthrosis, arthritis);
- Heavy migraine.
What you need to know before using Tramal
Here are a few important things to consider before using Tramal:
- This medicine may cause dizziness and drowsiness. Stay out of traffic if you experience these side effects;
- You should avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine as this will increase the chance of you feeling drowsy or dizzy;
- Do not use this medicine if you are allergic to the active substance tramadol or any other of its ingredients;
- This medicine should not be used in combination with a class of antidepressants known as monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs);
- Do not use this medicine without consulting a doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding;
- This medicine may interact with other medicines, including epilepsy medicine. Be sure to tell the doctor what other medicines you are currently taking when you order.
How to use Tramal
Tramal is available in the form of capsules, delayed release (retard) tablets, suppositories and oral drops. The suppositories are for anal use. The tablets should be swallowed whole, without chewing, with some liquid. The drops can be dissolved in water and drunk or squeezed onto a sugar cube and eaten. Tramal is available in the following strengths: 50 mg, 100 mg, 150 mg and 200 mg. The exact strength and dosage should be determined by a doctor. Always follow the prescription exactly – never take more or less than the doctor recommends. For more information on use and dosage, see the Tramal package leaflet.
Possible side effects
Tramal may cause side effects, such as:
- Drowsiness and sleepiness;
How to store Tramal
Keep Tramal out of reach of children. Store this medicine at room temperature and in the original pack. Do not use this medicine after the expiration date has passed (see packaging or label).
Tramal contains the active ingredient tramadol. Consult the package leaflet for a complete list of ingredients and information on the manufacturer and marketing authorisation holder of this product.