Did you know that men get wrinkles earlier than women? This was one of the conclusions from a Dutch study conducted by Erasmus MC. Men do not only get wrinkles at a younger age, they also get more of them. Ultimately, of course, women cannot escape it, because growing older without wrinkles is not possible. Actually, 65% of UK men state that there is nothing wrong with spending money on products to reduce wrinkles thus confirming they also have them. How do wrinkles actually occur, what can you do to prevent wrinkles and can you treat wrinkles?
You will find an answer to all those anti-aging questions in this blog.
What are wrinkles?
A wrinkle is a fold in the skin surface. This can occur temporarily, for example, when you smile or frown. The muscle pull causes the skin to shift, causes this to your skin. They are also called dynamic forms. However, static types also exist. These folds, lines or grooves are permanent. So you can see them even when your face muscles are not tightened. Static wrinkles are the result of skin aging.
Skin aging the main cause of wrinkles
As the skin ages, the production of collagen and elastin is reduced. These are two major substances that give resilience to the skin shape. The skin becomes lighter, causing frowns, wrinkles, and other dynamic wrinkles to become increasingly static (and thus permanent). Skin relaxation also changes the structure of the face, resulting in the known nose lip fold and the pronounced ‘hamster cheeks’.
How to Avoid getting wrinkles:
Avoiding this process may come with aging but, many people would prefer not to have to deal with them. Fortunately, you can do a few things to delay skin aging as much as possible. According to dermatologists, the following factors are especially important:
– Do not smoke. Smoking speeds up the aging process of the skin, thus accelerating the appearance of permanent ones on your skin.
– Avoid the sun and sunbathing. UV radiation in sunlight causes skin damage, resulting in faster wrinkles. If you go in the sun, then use a high protection factor;
Other life rules that help to prevent the onset of these:
– You can try an anti-wrinkle cream. Choose a cream with ingredients that stimulate the production of collagen and supplement the moisture content. A good cream also contains a UV filter;
– Get enough sleep
– Eat healthily and drink as little alcohol as possible.
Besides, your genes determine for 55% how much wrinkles you get and when you will get them. Should the tips above not help you, then you can always blame your parents …
There are a number of treatments that can reduce deep, permanent wrinkles.
– Vitamin A acid cream. This strong working cream enables the creation of new connective tissue and thereby stimulates the skin’s renewal process. The skin becomes smoother and tighter;
– Botox. By temporarily paralyzing the muscles in wrinkle zones, wrinkles cannot appear in that spot. This technique is especially suitable for frown wrinkles and other wrinkles arising from mimics;
– Fillers. By injecting gel, deep types and folded cheeks can be filled;
– Peeling and microdermabrasion. Ripping off the upper skin layer makes them less deep. Compare it with the shaving of a block of wood. In a chemical peel, the skin is drained by means of a liquid. Microdermabrasion occurs with micro-crystals that rub the skin.
– Laser treatment. A so-called CO2 laser can remove old connective tissue and stimulate the production of new collagen. This technique is applied to finer and deeper types.
These treatments may cause side effects such as skin irritation.
Would you undergo a treatment to reduce your wrinkles?
Remember: We all have to age and getting them is just a natural process of the body. You can try to reduce getting them, but in the end, they do belong there.
Sources: AD, Volkskrant, Huidinfo.nl, Huidarts.com