A doctor will review your order and write you a prescription, if appropriate. This prescription is then forwarded to a pharmacy. The pharmacy will have your medicine delivered to you within one to three working days. Read more about this process here.
Zelitrex is currently unavailable. Instead you can order Valaciclovir. This medicine contains the active ingredient valaciclovir, which is the same active ingredient as in Zelitrex.
What is Zelitrex?
Zelitrex is an antiviral medicine used to treat infections with herpes viruses. This medicine works by stopping herpes viruses from reproducing and infecting more cells in the body. This relieves the symptoms associated with the infection. Zelitrex is a prescription-only medicine.
What is Zelitrex used for?
Zelitrex is used to treat and prevent (recurring) infections with herpes viruses. These include the viruses that cause:
- Cold sores (herpes simplex): a burning and/or tingling sensation on or around the lips that develops into painful, fluid-filled blisters with scabs.
- Genital herpes (herpes simplex): an STD that is likely to cause itching, pain, blisters with scabs on the genitals.
- Shingles (herpes zoster): pain and itching sensation, typically on one side of the body, followed by redness of the skin and blisters.
Zelitrex blocks the action of the herpes simplex and the herpes zoster virus and provides short-term relief from symptoms.
How to use Zelitrex
Zelitrex tablets should be swallowed whole with plenty of liquid. The tablets should be taken at the same time each day. They can be taken with or without food. It is important that you finish the entire course, even if you feel better. Typical courses range from one to ten days. Longer courses may be indicated for certain infections or to prevent re-infection.
Valaciclovir, the substitute for Zelitrex, is available in various strengths. The doctor will recommend the right strength for you depending on your symptoms. Unless otherwise prescribed by a doctor, the recommended dose for the treatment of cold sores and genital herpes is:
- Adults and children aged 12 and above: 500 mg to 2000 mg twice a day for as long as the doctor prescribes.
The recommended dose for the treatment of shingles is:
- Adults: 1000 mg three times a day for as long as the doctor prescribes.
Always follow the prescribed dosage and read the package leaflet closely before you use this medicine.
Like all medicines Zelitrex can have side effects. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine:
- Gastrointestinal symptoms;
- Increased sensitivity of the skin to UV light.
Consult a doctor if these or other side effects are severe or persistent. For a complete list of side effects, see the package leaflet.
When not to use Zelitrex
Zelitrex is not suitable for everyone. Do not use this antiviral medicine if:
- You are allergic to valaciclovir or any other ingredient in this medicine.
Use caution if you are currently taking medication, are older than 65 years of age, have a kidney or liver disorder or a health condition that is not listed above. Do not use this medicine without consulting a doctor first.
Zelitrex should not be used during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. This medicine may cause dizziness. Stay out of traffic if you feel that your reaction time might be delayed. Limit or stop drinking alcohol while taking this medicine as this is likely to trigger or worsen the side effects.