What is Zestoretic?
Zestoretic is an antihypertensive drug which contains two active substances:
- Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor; a drug that dilates the blood vessels.
- Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic.
What is this medication used for?
High blood pressure is bad for the heart and blood vessels, and can eventually cause (severe) disorders. In case of high blood pressure doctors usually first prescribe an ACE inhibitor, a diuretic or other medicine. If this is not strong enough, a doctor can prescribe Zestoretic. The combination of lisinopril with hydrochlorothiazide creates a two-fold effect, allowing blood pressure to go down.
How to use Zestoretic?
Take the tablet with some water, preferably at a fixed time. You can take this medicine with or without food. A doctor will determine how long you should keep taking this medication. If you forget to take your tablet, swallow the next tablet at the usual time. Never take a double dose to make up for the missed dose. You can read more about the use of Zestoretic in the leaflet.
The collaborating pharmacies offer Zestoretic online in different strengths. A doctor knows which version best suits your symptoms and how often you should take this medication. The general guidelines for the dosage are as follows:
- Adults: 1 tablet once daily in the prescribed strength.
Medicines can sometimes cause side effects, although not everybody gets affected by it. The side effects that may occur with the use of Zestoretic include:
- Gastrointestinal complaints;
- Sleeping problems;
When is it best not to use this medication?
Zestoretic is not a suitable medicine for everyone. Do not use this medication if you:
- are oversensitive to lisinopril or other ACE inhibitors, hydrochlorothiazide, sulfonamides (antibacterial agents) or any of the excipients used;
- suffer from severe liver or kidney disease;
- have no or a severely decreased urine production;
- are being treated with a certain blood pressure lowering medicine containing aliskiren.
Pregnancy / driving / alcohol
Zestoretic is not suitable for pregnant women. Do not use this medicine if you are breastfeeding.
The side effects of this medication may cause for you to be less alert in traffic. Do not drive if you experience symptoms such as dizziness, fatigue or poor visibility.
Alcohol can increase the side effects of this medication. Do not drink or lessen your intake of alcoholic drinks when you are taking Zestoretic.