Finasteride 1 mg
- Used to treat male pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia)
- Prevents further hair loss
- Tablet for oral use
- For use in adult men only
About Finasteride 1 mg
The active ingredient finasteride belongs to a type of medicine that counteracts the effects of male sex hormones (5-alpha reductase inhibitors). Male pattern hair loss is a common condition thought to be caused by a combination of genetic factors and a particular hormone, called dihydrotestosterone (DHT). In the scalp, Finasteride specifically lowers the levels of DHT by blocking an enzyme (Type II 5-alpha reductase) that converts testosterone to DHT. Only men with mild to moderate, but not complete hair loss can expect to benefit from the use of Finasteride 1 mg.
How to use Finasteride 1 mg
Take your tablet with a drink of water. Finasteride 1 mg can be taken with or without food. The tablets should be swallowed whole with chewing. Do not crush the tablets.
It may take three to six months for the benefits of this medicine to appear. Keep using this medicine for as long as your doctor has prescribed.
Dosage should be determined by a doctor. The general dosage guidelines are as follows:
- Adult men: one tablet once a day.
It is important not to exceed the prescribed dose. Finasteride 1 mg will not work faster or better if you take it more than once a day.
This medicine is not suitable for use in women and children under 18 years of age.
This medicine does not interact with alcohol and will normally not affect your ability to drive or operate machinery.
If you use too much/forget to use/stop using Finasteride 1 mg
If you take more tablets than you should, or someone accidentally swallows some, contact your nearest hospital casualty department or tell your doctor immediately. Take the box and any remaining tablets with you.
If you forget to take a dose of Finasteride 1 mg, skip the missed dose. Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten one.
It is important to keep taking Finasteride as long as your doctor tells you to get the most from the medicine. If you stop taking this medicine, you are likely to lose the hair you have gained within 9 to 12 months.
When not to use Finasteride 1 mg
Finasteride 1 mg is not suitable for everyone. Do not use this medicine if:
- You are a woman.
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients in Finasteride 1 mg (see section ‘What Finasteride 1 mg contains').
When should this medicine be used with caution?
The following additional warnings apply when using this medicine.
- Effects on the fertility
Infertility has been reported in men who took finasteride for long time and had other risk factors that may affect fertility. Normalisation or improvement of seminal quality has been reported after discontinuation of finasteride. Long-term clinical studies about the effects of finasteride on fertility in men have not been conducted.
- Mood alterations and depression
Mood alterations such as depressed mood, depression and, less frequently, suicidal thoughts have been reported in patients treated with finasteride. If you experience any of these symptoms stop taking Finasteride 1 mg and contact your doctor for further medical advice as soon as possible.
- Breast cancer
Breast cancer is a possible side effect of this medicine. Please be alert and report to your doctor any changes in the breast tissue (see section 'Side effects').
- Finasteride 1 mg can seriously harm an unborn baby
If the active ingredient in Finasteride is absorbed after oral use or through the skin by a woman who is pregnant with a male baby, this may cause the male baby to be born with abnormalities of the sex organs. If a woman who is pregnant comes into contact with crushed or broken Finasteride 1-mg tablets, a doctor should be consulted.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Finasteride 1 mg is not suitable for use in women.
Other medicines and Finasteride 1 mg
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are using or have recently used any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription, herbal medicines or other natural products.
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although some people may not experience any. Stop taking Finasteride and talk to your doctor immediately if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Symptoms of an allergic reaction: swelling of your lips, face, tongue and throat, difficulty swallowing, lumps under your skin (hives) and breathing difficulties.
- Depression (feelings of sadness or unworthiness).
You should promptly report to your doctor any changes in your breast tissue such as lumps, pain, enlargement or nipple discharge as these may be signs of a serious condition, such as breast cancer.
Other side effects of Finasteride 1 mg include:
Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people):
- Decreased sexual drive (libido).
- Erection problems.
- Problems with ejaculation, for example a decrease in the amount of semen released during sex.
Frequency not known (cannot be estimated from the available data):
- Allergic reactions such as rash, itching, skin rash with severe itching and lumps (nettle rash, hives) and swelling of the lips and face.
- Breast swelling or soreness.
- Fast or irregular heartbeat.
- Pain in the testicles.
- Palpitations (rapid heartbeat).
- Persistent difficulty having an erection after discontinuation of treatment.
- Persistent decrease in sex drive after discontinuation of treatment.
- Persistent problems with ejaculation after discontinuation of treatment.
- Infertility has been reported in men who took finasteride for a long time and had other risk factors that may affect fertility. Normalisation or improvement of seminal quality has been reported after discontinuation of finasteride. Longterm clinical studies about the effects of finasteride on fertility in men have not been conducted.
- Changes in how your liver is working shown by blood tests.
If you experience side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet.
What Finasteride 1 mg contains
The active substance in FINASTERIDE 1 MG FILM-COATED TABLETS is finasteride. One film-coated tablet contains 1 mg finasteride.
Read the package leaflet before use. The official package leaflet of FINASTERIDE 1 MG FILM-COATED TABLETS is available for download here.