What is Otalgan?
Otalgan products are designed for use in the ear. The Otalgan line includes painkilling ear drops, ear spray, ear drops that cleanse the ear, and various types of earplugs that protect against water and/or loud noise.
What is Otalgan used for?
The Otalgan line consists of the following products:
- Otalgan Ear Drops: Ear drops with a local anaesthetic called lidocaine which temporarily numbs the eardrum and the skin lining the ear canal. Used to relieve earache caused by inflammation or common cold.
- Otalgan Earwax: Softens hardened or excess earwax, making it easier to remove.
- Otalgan Ear Spray: Cleansing ear spray that effectively removes excess earwax and dust particles. Helps maintain good ear hygiene.
- Otalgan Click & Clean Cotton Swabs: Liquid-filled cotton swabs which remove earwax easily.
- Otalgan Anti Bacterial: Soft silicone earplugs with antibacterial ingredients that protect against noise and water in the ear during swimming.
- Otalgan Basic Earplugs: Comfortable and effective earplugs for hearing protection.
- Otalgan Classic Wax Balls: Shapeable wax earplugs for single use.
- Otalgan Dry Ears: Specially developed for after swimming or showering. Absorbs moisture trapped in the ear canal and keeps ears dry.
- Otalgan Ear Planes: Earplugs that offer intensive hearing protection and reduce noise by 20 decibel.
- Otalgan Ear Planes Junior: Pressure-regulating earplugs for hearing protection. Reduce ear discomfort during flying. Suitable for children aged 1 to 12.
- Otalgan Sleep Plugs: Block out noise for a good night’s rest.
- Otalgan Swim Plugs: Keep water from entering the ears. Suitable for children aged three and up.
- Otalgan Party Plugs: Offer protection from extremely loud noise.
How to use Otalgan products
Otalgan products are used as follows:
- Otalgan Ear Drops: Put 3 to 5 drops in the affected ear. If necessary, repeat after two to six hours. Do not use the drops more than six times a day, and not for longer than two consecutive weeks. Consult a doctor if the symptoms worsen or fail to improve within two weeks.
- Otalgan Ear Wax: Put 10 to 15 drops in the affected ear and close off with a cotton ball. Allow the drops to work for 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse the ear with lukewarm water. The drops are also suitable for use in young children.
- Otalgan Ear Spray: Insert nozzle into ear and depress for one second. Massage the bottom of the ear for 10 seconds. Gently tilt head to drain and dry the outer ear with a clean towel. Use the spray two to three times a week or daily if necessary. Otalgan Ear Spray is also suitable for children aged three and up.
- Otalgan Earplugs: Insert the earplugs according to the instructions in the package leaflet.
Read the package leaflet or instructions before use.
Otalgan products are generally well tolerated. Consult a doctor if you experience any side effects.
When not to use Otalgan
- Do not use Otalgan Ear Drops, Otalgan Ear Wax and Otalgan Ear Spray if you are allergic to any of the ingredients in these products, or if you have a runny ear, a burst eardrum or a history of this.
- Do not use Otalgan Ear Wax or Ear Spray if you have an ear infection.
- Do not use Otalgan Ear Spray if you have ear tubes or have had eardrum surgery.
Otalgan products are safe to use during pregnancy and do not interact with alcohol or affect your ability to drive safely.